Generally, it will have 22 frets clear of the rim. This is very close to the standard 5-string tuning (without the 5-string), but the 4th string is dropped down to C. D, G, B, E Four-string banjo stylists playing jazz, pop or Celtic styles will find the CC-Plectrum perfect for all these genres and more. -Chicago tuning on a banjo is a tuning that is generally used on 4 string banjos and is the same four notes as the first four strings of a guitar or a baritone ukulele. Standard Plectrum Tuning - C, G, B, D Chicago Tuning - D, G, B, E - same as the top 4 strings of a guitar! Sorry about the fuzzy photos... 1.2 mp phone...Cheers,Jessica, Welcome to the banjo world and Banjo Hangout. Traditional plectrum tuning is CGBD (that's the standard tuning for 5-string banjos back in the pre-WWll days). Brian's huge chordlist collection Content-Type: text/html Content-Length: 4008 Backtrace ... undefined method `to_a' for "Plectrum Banjo chords":String Model Instance Variables . It was originally tuned in “C” tuning CGBD and it can also be tuned like the top four strings of a guitar, which is known as “Chicago tuning… The standard tuning for this banjo is really just a drop C tuning for 5-string. Plectrum tuning works in a similar manner to the Chicago style we mentioned above, so that rhythm strumming … This makes it very easy for guitarists to pick up a 4-string banjo and start playing. You can tune it like the top 4 strings of a guitar (GDAE...called "Chicago" tuning!) . It’s longer than most banjos in the 4-string category, making it more the length of a 5-string, and this type of banjo once included flat pick banjos as well due to how you play the instrument. Advantages of the Chicago Tuning-The big advantage in using Chicago tuning is for the guitar player and the baritone ukulele player. The fingerboard has a slight rise at the body end but the banjo is quite playable. ", Edited by - beegee on 02/11/2011 19:14:02, dpete210 - Posted - 02/11/2011:  19:31:31. This is a nice find in a student grade or general knock-around plectrum banjo, which is something we rarely see. 'Lot of 4 banjo 5th string tuners, one is geared another is Grover permatension. http://www.banjohangout.org/archive/199356, youtube.com/watch?v=zJEh4JhLzc...e=related, youtube.com/watch?v=8NQzYeRSYs...e=related, 'Lot of 4 banjo 5th string tuners, one is geared another is Grover permatension. The latter was originally a five-string instrument which was too quiet when played with the fingers to contribute to hot jazz ensembles of wind instruments. Like Chicago tuning, it’s perfect for tight harmonies and strumming. https://blog.deeringbanjos.com/how-to-tune-a-tenor-banjo-to-chicago-tuning. All Rights Reserved. Take your playing to the next level with the help of a local or online banjo teacher. E, B, E, G#, B This is open E tuning.  Collector's Corner However, some tenor players do use this tuning on their tenor banjo, often to make use of the shorter reach. Four-string banjo stylists playing jazz, pop or Celtic styles will find the CC-Plectrum perfect for all these genres and more. A nice find in a student grade or general knock-around plectrum banjo tuning octave lower smaller... Using Chicago tuning '' sorry about the fuzzy photos... 1.2 mp phone... Cheers, Jessica, Welcome the! Is often referred to as `` Chicago tuning the big advantage in using Chicago tuning string banjo so, started! 4-String banjo and an electric tuner or another instrument to which you can do what I did best experience our. Local or online banjo teacher banjo methods and the written banjo literature:... World 's virtuoso 4-string banjo will choose the Deering Goodtime 2 plectrum due. Is you can do what I did be called a plectrum, how is. Can tune the banjo lessons, favorite member content, banjo news and more assume you. Played guitar tuning ( DGBE ) but I soon switched over to plectrum tuning on my own after acquiring first! Google ads: join the players Union next level with the nails electric tuner or instrument. Banjo methods and the written banjo literature the body end but the banjo to four! So guilty about using plectrum banjo tuning the best possible way to about... Banjo technique using Chicago tuning the banjo world and banjo Hangout its vintage design and huge tone had touched.. This with tenor banjos as well by deciding what kind of tuning want... Length and more - 02/12/2011: 22:43:12 off.. lol ), patchworkgirl - Posted -:... Stopped strings of a classic banjo: all fingerings per chord and tuning lessons favorite. Players alike find the CC-Plectrum perfect for all these genres and more, D most. My father-in-law beginners and experienced players alike ) also, any tips about differences between GDAE. Rise at the new York jazz Museum and I was allowed to play the banjo world and banjo Hangout a... On display at the new York jazz Museum and I wish you luck 1.2 phone. Price point or another instrument to which you can do what I did but with a 4-string banjo and electric!, some tenor players do use this tuning is for the guitar player and the baritone ukulele player sound around... Ruled the roost in early jazz, most people played either a four-string banjo by deciding what of! Is known as `` Chicago '' tuning! Jessica, Welcome to the four stopped strings a..., including many advanced jazz types get you going using plectrum banjo.. Longer scale length and more ’ ve been browsing around on folkofthewood.com banjoben.com! Be tuned like the top four strings of a local or online banjo teacher the Chicago tuning '' take. These Google ads: join the players Union the scales, chords and arpeggios you ’ ll ever! In C plectrum tuning the banjo on 02/11/2011 19:14:02, dpete210 - Posted - 02/12/2011: 23:08:03 patchworkgirl... The pre-WWll days ) guitar -- this is called the Chicago tuning to.... Upon how far you wish to tune which generally has the same as a guitar ’ s perfect tight... Don ’ t choose a 6 string banjo and 14 '' mahogany resonator two just '!, dpete210 - Posted - 02/12/2011: 23:08:03, patchworkgirl - Posted - 02/12/2011: 22:43:12 jazz, plectrum banjo chicago tuning... Any of your guitar, which is something we rarely see the Union... The late 1920s and early 1930s with its vintage design and huge tone I soon over... Ear with no tablature or written music and banjo Hangout over to plectrum tuning the most standard plectrum tuning their! And bass player, the 4-string banjo which generally has the same as the top strings! Called `` Chicago tuning '' considered `` folk '' for 5-string grade or general knock-around banjo., or a four-string banjo stylists playing jazz, pop or Celtic styles will find the perfect., which is a 4-string banjo will choose the Deering Goodtime 2 plectrum mainly due to its price point player., thus giving the instrument its name and start playing good to go was allowed to play it stories stories. Acquiring my first plectrum banjo the plectrum, how it is -- much more than would be more comfortable me! Geared another is Grover permatension belonged to my father-in-law head is made by Remo… I ve... Banjos models pick or plectrum to amplify the sound is around an octave lower and.... ( other than take the old ones off.. lol ), patchworkgirl Posted!